Director, Employee & Labor Relations
St. Louis Community College (STLCC) is a multi-campus district comprised of four campuses and six satellites serving 718 square miles of St. Louis city and county and portions of Jefferson and Franklin counties. The college employs over 3,000 full and part time faculty, administrators, staff, and student employees.
One of the most rewarding things about working at St. Louis Community College is the chance to make a tangible difference in people's lives. At St. Louis Community College, we expands minds and changes lives every day by offering high-quality educational experiences leading to degrees, certificates, employment, university transfer, and life-long learning.
St. Louis Community College is more than just a great place to get a quality education—it’s also a great place to work. The College offers its employees (based on employee group) competitive wages, great health and retirement benefits, paid vacation, holiday leave and winter break, tuition waiver and reimbursement, professional development, free parking on all campuses, and much more!
STLCC is currently seeking applications for the position of Director, Employee & Labor Relations
Performs duties necessary to develop, implement and administer an effective employee and labor relations program within the district. Leads and administers the negotiations process with seven (7) employee groups; provides day-to-day guidance to the College administrators and managers on employee relations matters; prepares and conducts studies of various human resources issues; assists in budget development. Performs normal supervisory functions.
PRIMARY DUTIES PERFORMED:
All candidates must complete an online application at http://jobs.stlcc.edu/postings/7344
- Serves as designee for the Associate Vice Chancellor, Human Resources in his/her absence to include representation and participation at the College Leadership Team and Board of Trustees meetings.
- Serves as chief spokesperson, leads and administers the negotiations process for all labor and employee groups in the district. Acts as the College’s primary contact with employee and labor group leadership on employee/labor relations matters.
- Manages employee grievance processes; provides advice and guidance to the College administrators and managers/supervisors regarding employee relations issues and opportunities. Serves as primary liaison with outside counsel on labor matters when necessary.
- May serve as the College’s advocate and presenter in grievances that advance to a formal hearing before the Board of Trustees.
- Prepares and disseminates Human Resources information; develops Human Resources procedural manuals and employee handbook; oversees unemployment and outplacement responsibilities; manage the personnel files in accordance with records retention regulations; interprets policies, procedures, and practices to College management.
- Prepares and recommends Human Resource policies, procedures and guidelines; monitors and coordinates the implementation of federal, state, and Board compliance requirements related to employee/labor relations.
- Provides support to Human Resources managers, as needed.
- Assists in the development of budget recommendations.
- Mediates conflict situations between employees or between employees and supervisors.
- Manages staff to ensure optimum performance and support of the Strategic Plan Initiatives.
- Effectively utilizes the College performance evaluation system.
- Performs supervisory functions.
- Participates in all required and relevant college training and development opportunities.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.